- 1 large green cabbage head (about 2.5 lb), washed and cut into 4 quarters leaving heart intact
- 2 large carrots (or 3 smaller ones)
- 2 medium sweet organic apples (I usually use fuji or gala), unpeeled, washed and cored
- 2 Tbs granulated cane sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp raw honey
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 2 Tbsp dijon mustard
- *optional- 1 tsp poppy seeds (gives it a great look)
- Shred all 4 quarters of cabbage with mandolin using 1/8-1/4" (Try a couple swipes to check the width), or you can use slicer of box grater or food processor).
- Place shredded cabbage in a colander.
- Shred carrots using large holes on box grater. Add to cabbage.
- Sprinkle with sugar and salt, combine and let drain while you make the dressing.
- Make the Dressing: combine all slaw dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk well
- Gently squeeze out any excess liquid by pushing down on cabbage through colander. (DO NOT RINSE).
- Transfer cabbage and carrot mixture to large enough bowl to fit entire slaw.
- Shred unpeeled apples with large holes of box grater and immediately add to cabbage mixture. Add slaw dressing now too (don't let apple sit in cabbage without dressing poured and stirred)
- Stir well to combine. Add poppy seed at this point if you're adding it (I've made it without the poppy seeds and it's just as great, it's more for looks).
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste if need be.
- Let chill in refrigerator at least 1 hr. or 30 min. in freezer for quick chill.