This cucumber & tomato summer salad is a simple and delicious salad you can make in about 15 minutes. It's a great summer salad to accompany everything from BBQ, seafood or just vegetarian spreads. We have a flourishing garden popping out wonderful sweet tomatoes right now and plenty of crunchy cucumbers so I try to incorporate these great vegetables and fruits into our summer dining repertoire when possible. This cucumber & tomato salad is very reminiscent of eastern European salads I've had overseas and in my own home growing up. There are many variations to this type of salad in many cultures. It's hard to wrong with a salad like this on a hot day since it's so easy to make.
A summer salad can only be as sweet and delicious as the produce you put into it. The last few times I served store bought grape tomatoes to my boys, something they usually eat up like candy, they completely rejected them and told me they tasted horrible. Luckily, the last few weeks we've had a plethora of super sweet organic grape tomatoes right from our garden so they were perfect to make this simple salad and the kids enjoyed the tomatoes without rejecting them as well.
This summer salad is best with crunchy cucumbers, so we love using our own pickling cucumbers. Our cucumbers are growing like weeds in our garden so if we don't have time to pickle these lovely veggies, I use them up in various salads such as this one.
Summertime is a foodie's dream time to cook with fresh ingredients, especially if they're fresh from the farmer's market or your own garden. Summertime is the easiest time of year fill your plate with tasty salads, even if they're lettuce-free. Lettuce or no lettuce, you're still getting your vitamins and minerals any way you slice it and it's a great way to compliment a summer entree.
Give this simple, fresh cucumber & tomato summer salad a try with your next summer meal and let us know what you think!
Here are more summertime recipes you might enjoy!
Cucumber & Tomato Dill Summer Salad
This is a quick and easy lettuce free summer salad. Great with seafood, bbq or just a vegetarian side.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Salad
- .5 lb pickling cucumbers (2 medium), thinly cut into half circles
- .5 lb sweet cherry tomatoes, cut in half or small wedges
- ¼ cup sweet onion, almost paper thin quarter or half circle slices ( I usually use vidalia onion)
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- ½ Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 3 tsp fresh dill, finely chopped
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Add all ingredients to a medium mixing bowl and gently stir to combine.
- Chill salad in the refrigerator for 30 mins to 1 hr.
- Once the salad is chilled and ready to serve do one more taste test to see if you need to add any more salt
- Serving Size: 1
[…] GET THE RECIPE […]