Simple Basil Parmesan Orzo is an easy family favorite side dish at home. I like making this easy basil parmesan orzo because I know all my boys will eat it and it's so easy I can decide to make it last minute on a busy night. I always have a block of parmesan on hand in my refrigerator and if I don't have fresh basil, I use some dried basil to get the job done, but fresh is truly ideal. This savory orzo side dish never lasts long. My husband even complains when I don't double the recipe because it can disappear so fast some nights with no leftovers.
Simple Satisfying Hot Side Dish
It's been a long day, you've got a protein and vegetable for dinner, but are tired of serving up pasta and rice. Orzo is your answer! It's a delicious solution to boring starches for dinner. With only a little prep this dish will be done in less than 30 minutes. What's not to love?! Delicious, yet easy and not out of a box or the freezer is always a winner in my book!
Orzo-The Other comfort food
This orzo dish is like the comfort food you might have never thought of to serve on a stressful day. It's great because it's easy to make, not much prep and is much lighter than the ordinary comfort food dish. The first few times I made this my family was amazed at how much they loved it. I will admit though my husband has trouble not getting thirds or fourths on this dish.
Basil Parmesan Pasta
My kids love pasta in any shape or form. I have one child who is rice hater, so the first few times I served this dish he refused to try it because he thought orzo was "big rice." He'd try one tiny piece and not eat any more. Now being more adventurous with his eating lately he actually had a good forkful of it and now loves it!
Give this super easy and delicious Basil Parmesan Orzo a try and let me know what you think!
Simple Basil Parmesan Orzo
This is a 5 ingredient (not including salt & pepper) hot side dish that can be made in under 30 minutes! It's simple, yet tastes gourmet.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Category: side dish
- Cuisine: pasta
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 2 cups organic chicken broth ( I like to use Better than Bouillon, but I usually buy it from Costco)
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped (or 3 tsp dried basil)
- ⅓-½ cup parmesan, shredded (amount depending on your preference, but I find ⅓ cup to be enough)
- ½ tsp salt
- A few twists of fresh ground pepper
- Heat a skillet on Medium high heat and melt butter.
- Once butter melted add uncooked orzo to skillet and saute until some orzo lightly browned, stirring frequently.
- Now add chicken broth to skillet, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer and cover. Cook orzo about 15 minutes or until most liquid is absorbed, but still moist. (Cooking varies with skillet temperature, so if too much liquid not absorbed, cook for up to another 5 minutes covered)
- Remove Orzo from heat and stir in parmesan, basil, salt and pepper. Adjust salt and pepper to your preference.
- Serve and enjoy!
This is a great starchy hot side dish to replace a usual pasta or rich dish.
- Serving Size: 6
Kathy Schweissinger says
That sounds delicious Katia!! Will definitely be making this recipe!!
Thanks, Kathy! I hope you do and let me know how you like it. Enjoy!