My husband really nailed it with this savory braised pork chops recipe! He winged it one night and had me swooning over the dutch oven to get another taste of the sauce. The prep time for these braised pork chops with tomato harissa sauce is short so you won't be stuck in the kitchen forever. The dutch oven does most of the work for you. This is a great main dish to serve with steamed rice or egg noodles and a green salad or green vegetable. It is a slightly spicy dish depending on how much harissa you use, but if we keep the extra sauce off the pork chops our boys eat it up!
Dutch Oven Duty
These delicious braised pork chops can be made in any oven safe cooking pot, we just happen to love our dutch oven. The dutch oven holds heat really well and then it lets the oven do the rest of the work for you. They don't have to be a huge investment, but are worth the few extra bucks for sure.
Simple Braised Pork Chops
These braised pork chops are simple to make, but take a little time in your oven to get that perfect tender cook. The sauce will simmer and braise those pork chops in your pot for added delectable flavor and depth. They will be worth the wait if you like tender pork with a flavorful sauce.
Tomato Harissa Sauce
We use harissa paste in the sauce to add a touch of spice and depth of flavor. You can find it in the international section of many grocery stores. If you don't have harissa leave it out and you can add a little kick with some dried red peppers or other hot pepper sauce. We do highly recommend the harissa though for that extra wow factor. When plating, don't forget to scoop some of the delicious sauce from the pan to top the braised pork chops.
Give these delicious and tender braised pork chops with tomato harissa sauce a try and let us know what you think!Print
Braised Pork Chops with Tomato Harissa Sauce
These braised pork chops are slightly spicy and full of rich tomato and pepper flavor. The Harissa Paste gives a very flavorful kick with some spice.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Braise
- Cuisine: American
- 3 to 4 1.5" thick pork chops, bone-in or boneless ok
- About 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 cup white onion, diced (About 1 medium onion)
- 2 cloves garlic, Chopped
- 2 Tbsp Double concentrated tomato paste
- 1.5 tsp Harissa Paste (add more if you like it spicier)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Heat your dutch oven or pan on the stove over medium high heat to get it fairly hot.
- Season pork chops with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Add olive oil to dutch oven and place the pork chops in the pan about 3 minutes.
- Turn pork chops over and cook another 3-4 minutes, till browned.
- Add onion, garlic, coriander and cumin to the pan, right on top of the pork chops. Cook for about two minutes.
- Move one pork chop out of the way a little to expose some pan surface and add your tomato paste and harissa paste. Stir the paste and let it cook for about a minute to bring out the flavor.
- Add chicken stock and wine, stir to combine the liquids.
- Cover and place in the oven for about 1 hour 15 min, till knife tender, almost breaking apart.
- Remove from oven and let pork rest in the pot for a few minutes and then let rest on a cutting board 5 more minutes before slicing and serving. It should be very tender.
- Don't forget to drizzle that yummy sauce on top of your chops and/or starch for extra goodness.
Serve with rice or egg noodles and vegetables for a delicious easy dinner.
If we run out of Harissa Paste, I add about ½ teaspoon chili powder and ½ teaspoon caraway seeds to boost the flavor.
Keywords: Braised Pork Chops, Harissa Sauce
Leave a Reply