I don't normally toot my own horn, but for these chocolate cake almond flour pancakes, I will. These are that good! They're like eating chocolate cake for breakfast, but not as rich and heavy. These taste light, yet so satisfying. They just happen to be gluten free if you need a gluten free delicious option for an amazing breakfast pancake.
Not Chocolate Cake, but tastes like cake!
I didn't want to confuse you by naming these pancakes, "chocolate cake," but my kids commented on how these tastes like a chocolate cake and I couldn't agree more. These pancakes are very airy and with the subtle but obvious chocolate flavor trick your brain into thinking you're indulging in some chocolate cake for breakfast.
I usually make my own almond flour just by blending almonds in my Blendtec blender. That's actually how I initially came up with this recipe. I was completely out of standard unbleached flour in the house, so I improvised and was so delighted by the outcome!
These chocolate pancakes are more delicate than standard flour pancakes so I highly recommend making them on a griddle if you have one. If you don't, they're a great investment! I love my griddle and do so much on it. It's so much easier cooking certain things on a griddle. My kitchen wouldn't be the same without it now.
Give these awesome chocolate cake almond flour pancakes a try and let me know how you like them!
If you like these almond flour pancakes, you should enjoy these flourless ones as well!Print
Chocolate Cake Almond Flour Pancakes
This recipe makes 11-12 pancakes using a ¼ cup scoop of batter per pancakes.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 12 pancakes 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- 2 cups almonds, blended into a flour like consistency (1.5 cups if using fine store bought almond-meal)
- *¼ cup ground flaxseed (optional)
- 2 Tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- dash of salt
- 3 eggs, lightly whisked
- ½ cup milk of choice
- ¼ cup plain yogurt (may substitute with sour cream)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- *1 tablespoon honey (optional)
- ⅛ cup semi-sweet chocolate or chocolate chips, chopped
- olive oil spray for cooking
To make your own almond flour, blend 2 cups of almonds with a high speed blender for few pulses till you get a flour like consistency
- Preheat griddle or large pan to medium high or about 350 degrees
- Add all dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl; almond flour through salt and stir well to combine
- Add eggs, milk, yogurt and vanilla to a small mixing bowl and whisk til combined
- Add wet ingredients to almond flour bowl and whisk til combined
- Fold in chocolate chips
- Pour ¼ cup batter scoops onto olive oil sprayed griddle
- Let cook 3-4 minutes, or until a bubble on top pops and stays open
- Flip the pancakes very carefully. I gently lift one side, gently pull on it till the whole thing moves and then flip over
- Cook another 3-4 minutes or fully golden
- Keep warm in oven or covered with a clean kitchen towel or foil
- Serve and enjoy
Serve up these pancakes with some fresh berries and real maple syrup or a drizzle of honey for a special breakfast treat.
- Serving Size: 6
Leave a Reply