If you love deviled eggs and creamy American potato salad, you will love this potato salad! It's great for a parties, picnics or holiday table spreads. Don't let looks deceive you though, it's not as heavy and over mayonnaisey as you might think. It actually has a lot less mayo than most traditional potato salads, but not lacking on flavor one bit.
Creamy Bold Dressing
Believe it or not, I've actually never been a big fan of very mayonnaisey potato salads; my husband on the other hand is. He grew up in the Mid West where it seems like every dish is heavy and loaded with mayo and too much butter. I know this salad looks like it's loaded with mayo, but in the whole salad I only use ⅓ cup of mayo which is pretty low compared to a lot of American potato salad recipes I've seen with at least 1 whole cup of mayo for about this much potato.
Now, you could almost say I've fooled my husband with this salad because he absolutely LOVES this salad. I've finally made one he whole hardheartedly approves of without the ridiculous amount of mayo. He's complained in the past when I've tried to make American potato salads and skimped on the mayo simply because I thought it was way too much for me to even remotely enjoy. I've had a few in my time homemade or store bought that I simply couldn't stomach. This potato salad on the other hand finally has the perfect proportions for all of us to really enjoy, including our boys! Success!
What's the Secret?
The dressing. This dressing is lower in mayo, but still creamy and flavorful because the half of the creaminess comes from the egg yolks, lemon juice and pickle juice. It might sound like an odd combination to some, but let me tell you, it's outstanding. I don't usually toot my own horn, but I can't help it with this one. I finally made the perfect American potato salad we can all enjoy and my guests who have tried it I'm pretty sure would agree as well.
Give this easy to make salad a try for your next gathering and let me know how it turns out for you.Print
Deviled Egg Potato Salad
This is a very creamy and flavorful potato salad that even finicky potato salad eaters will enjoy!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Creamy Salad
- Cuisine: American
- 2 lbs small organic red potatoes, washed and cut into ½ inch cubes (Highly recommend using unpeeled red potatoes for the best texture and look)
- 5-6 large hard boiled eggs
- 5 small dill pickles, chopped fine (about ½ cup chopped)
- ¾ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp celery seed
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ¾ tsp granulated garlic (powdered garlic fine too)
- ⅓ cup real mayonnaise
- 1 ½ Tbsp lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp pickle juice from jar
- *Optional-2 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped (or 2 teaspoon dried parsley)
- Start making your hard boiled eggs
- Meanwhile, wash and cut potatoes leaving the skin on.
- Immediately place cut potatoes in a pot covered with cold water.
- Boil the potatoes in water for 10-15 minutes or until knife stabs potato easily (look for even cooking on potato chunk you test as well, i.e. even color)
- Chop your pickles and set aside.
- Make your Dressing in a small bowl, adding and whisking all of the dressing ingredients as listed above.
- Once your eggs are done cooking, carefully peel the eggs and slice in half, adding just the yolks to the dressing bowl.
- Smash the yolks into the dressing and whisk together with rest of dressing once yolks smooth
- Once potatoes done cooking, immediately rinse under cold water and then add potatoes to large mixing bowl.
- Finely chop egg whites and egg to your mixing bowl with potatoes.
- Add chopped pickles and dressing to your potato bowl.
- Gently stir and combine until you see your dressing and other ingredients well combined.
- Chill the potato salad in the refrigerator at least 1 hr before serving.
If you need to speed up the chilling process place the salad into the freezer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serving Size: 8
[…] vision behind you. You can now look forward enjoying hard boiled eggs, making deviled eggs and other dishes that require hard boiled eggs. This easy peel hard boiled egg technique will help you succeed […]
[…] An all American creamy Potato Salad combined with the flavor of deviled eggs will combine two great sides into one delicious side dish. […]