This creamy, hearty chowder will warm bellies and please your time saving tendencies. You can make this delicious thick and chunky vegetarian soup in less than an hour. Talk about an easy meal option. This chowder also has a hint of smoked paprika for a great look and extra good flavor. Serve it up with a side salad or toast and you've got a satisfying and delicious meal.
1 Hour Chowder
Soup is well known by home cooks to be a tedious cooking process; from all the chopping to waiting and simmering. A lot of fantastic soups take quite a bit of time to cook to be truly ready to be ladled out, but not this one. Hence the bonus of this particular chowder soup.
In this chowder recipe I include a generous 15 minutes to prep the ingredients which involves prepping only 2 main ingredients, potatoes and onion. A lot of you might not even take 15 minutes to prep, but you know how life happens and we get distracted, especially while cooking. The rest of the recipe is quite simple and just comes together with ease.
Chowder by definition (from Merriam-Webster) is "a thick soup or stew made of seafood or corn with potatoes and onions and milk or tomatoes." In this chowder, you've got the middle ingredients mentioned; corn, potatoes, onion and milk. Another characteristic of chowder is that it uses flour to thicken the soup, well for this particular recipe I chose to satisfy gluten-free and vegetarian eaters by thickening the soup with corn starch instead of flour and replaced the more common liquid ingredient in chowder with vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
I also love the addition of smoked paprika in this soup. I added it one day while playing with this recipe to try to give it a different flavor, a little kick; plus it makes the look even more attractive to hungry eyes.
So, try to make this easy and speedy soup next time you're craving a creamy chowder and chow down!Print
Easy Potato & Corn Chowder
This chowder/soup makes about 5.5 cups. Serve as a starter, side dish or entree. This soup does freeze well if you have leftovers.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- Category: Soup
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- About 1.5 lbs organic russet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½" cubes
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- ¾ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 2 cups frozen super sweet corn
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tsp corn starch
- *optional- chopped green onion or chives
- Heat a large pot or dutch oven on medium to medium low, then add oil, allowing to heat.
- Once oil heated add onions and cook about 5 mins or until just tender.
- Add garlic and cook another 2 mins, stirring frequently to avoid burning.
- Add potatoes, salt, pepper, paprika and broth, bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 mins.
- Add corn and milk to pot.
- Add corn starch to small bowl with about a teaspoon of water, stir with fork quickly to dissolve corn starch and add immediately to pot.
- Leave pot uncovered, bring to a boil then reduce heat to simmer and cook another 15 mins, stirring frequently to avoid sticking or burning milk. Soup should thicken in this time to a thicker, creamier texture.
- Adjust salt and pepper to liking if need be and serve.
Great served with sprinkled chopped green onion or chives and a dash of smoked paprika for looks, but optional.
- Serving Size: 1
Very delicious ?. I used coconut milk instead of cow to make it vegan!
Very good, Rich! Substitution is a great way to make it work for you. Glad you enjoyed it!