Do you remember the fast food Shamrock Shakes? I sure do, oh how I loved this time of year back in my college days when I was repeatedly tempted to get one of those delicious, green colored shakes. Not anymore. I'd much rather drink the real stuff now or have a real mint chip shake with real ice cream or milk. This smoothie which is more like a shake has real mint flavor and real chocolate with a milky, creamy shake like consistency that you can enjoy right in the comfort of your own home. And it's guilt-free!
Real Mint Chip Shake
If you follow me already you know I'm all about using real ingredients instead of preservatives and chemicals in my recipes. This smoothie is naturally "green" (not shamrock shake green in color), but real "green" from using fresh mint leaves and you know it...that fabulous creamy avocado fruit.
The beauty of avocado in smoothies is that it's never noticed, you're blending in this amazing superfood, but you don't even know it's in there. We're talking healthy natural green instead of food coloring, always better for you.
A Kids' Treat
Adults and kids will love this smoothie. You can serve it to your kiddos as a "green" treat, whether it's St. Patrick's Day or any other day. My kids don't even know what a Shamrock Shake is, but they do know mint chocolate chip ice cream, so they think this is just a smoothie form of one of their favorite ice creams.
Give this refreshing Mint Chip Smoothie smoothie a try and comment below on how you like it.
Healthy Mint Chip Smoothie/Shake
This is a great healthy alternative to a fast food shamrock shake. This recipe makes about 3 cups (24 oz.)
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Smoothie
- ¼ cup fresh packed mint leaves, washed and dried
- 1 cup whole plain yogurt
- ¼ cup milk of choice (whole milk or homemade almond milk is great too)
- ½ large avocado, seeded
- 2 scoops 100% whey protein (vanilla flavor ok)
- 1-2 teaspoon raw honey
- 1 heaping cup ice cubes
- ¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 fat smoothie straws (thin straws might occasionally clog with mint chip pieces)
- Place all ingredients except for chocolate chips into high speed blender and blend of smoothie mode or for about 30 seconds.
- Once that's all blended, pour in your chocolate chips and quickly pulse the chips only 5-6 times.
- Pour smoothie into cups with big straws and enjoy immediately.
- Serving Size: 1
[…] GET THE RECIPE […]