Soup is the best remedy to warm one's soul on a chilly winter day. This creamy Instant Pot Potato Leek soup will not only warm you, but fill you with with savory satisfaction. This is such a comforting soup on a chilly day. It's so worth making when you're craving a warm bowl of creaminess with filling up on heavy comfort food.
I have one very fond memory of potato leek soup and it was in San Diego, CA of all places. It was a miserably windy and chilly winter day in San Diego and I was wandering the Gaslamp quarter with a friend. We really wanted to warm up somewhere and stumbled upon a dark little hole in the wall Irish pub. We were offered their popular Potato Leek Soup and it was just amazing, I still remember to this day how creamy and satisfying this bowl of goodness was. It hit the spot and left an impression on me. I wish I knew the secret to this memorable soup.
How to Make Potato Leek soup In Your Instant Pot
The first thing you need to deal with is cleaning the leeks. They can be very gritty, sandy or even packed with mud on them, but they're not a big deal to clean. I personally find it easiest to chop up the leeks 1st, white and light green parts only, and then wash them in a salad spinner. It makes it such an easy and quick task this way. Then peel and cut potatoes. If you do this ahead of time just be sure to hold them in a bowl of water. After this, sauté the vegetables for a few minutes, add the remaining ingredients, deglaze the pot, seal and set the pressure cooker. The rest is smooth sailing as shown on the recipe card.
Great Toppings for Potato Leek Soup
- Fried Onions- very good on this soup; a little crunch a little salt, what's not to like?!
- Fried Jalapenos- Yes, truly. If you like a spicy kick, this is a great topping for this soup. This is my husband's favorite topping now!
- Roasted Jalapenos- Just a little sprinkle of some chopped up roasted jalapenos gives it a nice back heat on your palate.
- Sour Cream or Heavy Cream- One of the other; just a dollop or a drizzle to add a little extra creaminess.
- Bacon- If you're not going for a vegetarian soup, crumbled crispy bacon bits are great on just about anything, but especially a soup like this.
- Green onions or fresh chives- I love green onions on just about any soup, chopped small it just makes your soup look inviting as well.
- Soy Sauce- sounds strange, but a few dashes of soy sauce is a nice umami touch to the soup as well. Can't knock it till you try it.
What to serve with Potato Leek Soup
- Bread, bread, bread....yes, it's a lot of carbs, between the soup and the bread, but if this is your main dish, which it very well could be, homemade or freshly baked bakery bread would be divine.
- Salad- a simple green salad with a vinaigrette is great!
- Beet Salad- This sweet and tangy salad goes well with the savory earthy flavor of the potato leek soup, plus it looks great together. We eat with our eyes...
- Spinach salad- a balsamic basic spinach salad with
- Broccoli- Any sort of green vegetable goes nicely with potato I think, especially broccoli.
Vegetarian Potato Leek Soup Ingredients
- Potatoes- I like golden potatoes like Yukon gold for this soup, but russets are good as well.
- Leeks- For this Instant Pot potato leek soup, you will only use the white and light green parts of the leek, but "Don't throw away the dark green part" according to La Cucina Italiana. They share some great ways to use the dark green parts.
- Onion- White or Sweet Onion is the way to go here, diced small. You just want it for added flavor.
- Celery- This is optional if you're not a fan of celery. I know a lot of people who don't care for celery, but I think it's great in this soup if you don't mind.
- Garlic Cloves
- Broth or Stock- I prefer vegetable broth, but chicken broth or stock are great too, unless you're going for a vegetarian soup.
- Fresh Thyme
- Black pepper
- Half & half- you can use whole milk or heavy cream if that's what you have available. If you need a vegan soup replace with an equal amount of coconut milk.
- Butter- I use unsalted butter.