Roasted Red Pepper & Eggplant Spread is a delectable vegetable spread that will even excite non vegetarian palates. This robust roasted vegetable spread is full of richly melded flavors; from tomato to roasted red pepper, capers and fresh parsley. I grew up loving a roasted eggplant spread that my Grandmother & Mom used to make with an Eastern European flair. It's called "Ikra" Eggplant Caviar; it's like the poor man's caviar. The ingredients are similar, but this spread has a more Mediterranean flair because of the ingredients like capers & parsley.
Eggplant is not a very pretty vegetable inside, but once this delicious veggie spread comes together you forget that very quickly. Eggplant cleans up real nice once incorporated into a recipe like this. The hidden beauty of eggplant is also it's health benefits. Not only is it low in calories, but it's loaded with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. It's also great for digestion; so cook it up and enjoy some eggplant for it's taste and natural goodness.
Spread it or Dip into it!
I love serving this eggplant spread on little European style toasts as an appetizer, but it's also great on regular toast as a light snack or lunch. Pita chips and cut vegetables are also great to dip into it.
Making Roasted Eggplant Spread
This spread is very easy to make, but takes a little extra time roasting the eggplants, but trust me, it's so worth the time. I like this spread chunky, but if you prefer it smooth just pulse it a few times in a food processor after it's cooked.
Give this tangy and savory roasted red pepper and eggplant spread a try and let us know what you think below! Happy cooking.
Roasted Red Pepper & Eggplant Spread
- 2 eggplants about 1 lb each
- 3 large garlic cloves minced
- ¾ cup onion finely chopped
- 3 tablespoon concentrated tomato paste if not using concentrated can sub for ⅓ cup regular tomato paste
- 2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅛-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper adjust to your liking
- 1 cup jarred roasted red peppers chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers drained and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon fresh Italian flat leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. With a fork, pierce eggplant about 6 times around the eggplant.
- Place the eggplant on a foil lined baking sheet and bake 45 minutes, turning every 5-10 minutes. You want the eggplant well roasted and darkened all around.
- After roasting let cool slightly and then peel all the skin and remove the stem, then drain eggplant for about 10 minutes and chop.
- While the eggplant is roasting, combine the tomato paste, red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, paprika, salt and ground peppers in a small bowl. Stir until smooth.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add onion and garlic. Cook about 8 minutes or onion fairly tender.
- Stir in chopped eggplant, tomato paste mixture, roasted bell peppers and capers. Cook another 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in parsley. Adjust the salt and pepper if need be.
- Transfer to a bowl, cover and chill until ready to serve.