This Teriyaki chicken bowl is made with my popular Ginger Teriyaki Sauce. You can make the sauce in about 10 minutes and this dish in 30. The sauce is low in sodium and sugar, but definitely not lacking flavor. I'm always looking to make a delicious takeout food just a bit healthier, so everyone can enjoy it without compromised flavor. I promise you will not miss your take out teriyaki chicken bowl after making this recipe. Your diners will love you for feeding this delicious meal and you'll feel great about serving it to them.
Is Teriyaki Chicken Healthy?
As with anything, in moderation, it can be healthy. This dish is definitely healthier than what you would get from a fast food chain scooping out huge portions of sugar laden sauces. Also, my teriyaki sauce is much lower in sugar. If you're watching your calories, watch the sauce and eat more vegetables than chicken with sauce. The Teriyaki sauce I use with this chicken teriyaki bowl is heavier on ginger and lighter on sugar. Store bought teriyaki sauces have about 10-12 grams of sugar for 2 tablespoons, whereas my teriyaki sauce has 3.7 grams of sugar for 2 tablespoons. Below is an image of a "better" teriyaki sauce that doesn't have HFCS and limited ingredients, but it's still higher in sugar and salt.
Also, watch the sodium, teriyaki chicken can be very heavy on sodium, especially store bought sauces. I use low sodium soy sauce for my teriyaki and it has 210 milligrams of sodium per 2 tablespoons vs store bought which has 750-1000 milligrams per 2 tablespoons.
Teriyaki Chicken Main Ingredients
- Chicken- I prefer to use cage free, organic chicken when it's feasible. Better chicken, better taste and better for you, without antibiotics
- Teriyaki Sauce- I have a super easy Teriyaki Sauce I use with this recipe. You can make it in less than 10 minutes!
What to Serve with your Teriyaki Bowl
- Load up on Vegetables- Broccoli is easy and quick to cook for teriyaki bowls, but sugar snap peas, green beans or any other vegetable you like with stir frys are great. Also, just a mixed bag of Asian stir-fry vegetables would work great.
- Asian Noddles- Lo Mein or Udon Noodles go great with a teriyaki bowl and it's easy to make, in just minutes. This is one of my kids' favorites.
- Rice- Yes, it's the obvious choice, but an easy fluffy no fuss rice you can make easily is Stovetop Jasmine Rice. You can make it while your teriyaki chicken is cooking without babysitting it.
Try this delicious, healthier Teriyaki Chicken bowl and be sure to comment below or Tag us with your photo on Instagram- @WholeMadeLiving
Teriyaki Chicken Bowl
- 1-1 ¼ lb. chicken Breasts or Thighs, cut into ¾" cubes
- ½ cup Ginger Teriyaki Sauce
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- Rice or Udon Noodles for bowl
- Vegetable of choice for bowl I usually use broccoli
- Cube chicken and prep vegetables if you have not done so already.
- Make the Teriyaki Sauce (This just takes about 5 mins total) and then set aside.
- Heat up wok or large skillet to Medium high heat.
- Once skillet is hot, add sesame oil, then chicken.
- Give the chicken a quick stir and then sprinkle salt and pepper all over chicken.
- Continue cooking chicken 4-5 minutes stirring occasionally or until cooked through to 145 deg.
- Add ½ cup of Teriyaki sauce and stir to glaze the chicken with it, cooking for about a minute.
- Remove chicken from heat and serve on top of your starch with your vegetable of choice. Feel free to drizzle a little extra sauce on the dishes if you like.