Comfort food doesn't always have to be greasy, heavy and full of preservatives. These crispy chicken tenders are still juicy just oven baked with panko bread crumbs and parmesan.
Baking set up is important for these to turn out right without sticking to your baking rack. If you don't have a specifically made baking rack you can make an easy crispy baking set-up using a Sheet Pan and a couple little racks that come from a toaster oven or cooling racks (just make sure they're oven safe). If you want a perfect fitting set up you can use this sort of half sheet pan rack that fits a 13 X 18 sheet pan perfectly.
Make sure you spray the rack with oil before placing your tenders on them and they'll turn out great on all sides, so soggy or sticky bottoms.
Watch the Breadcrumbs
I've used bread crumbs for years not even thinking to look at the labels as much as other products, thinking, "They're just breadcrumbs, what could be so bad about them?" Too much of everything is the answer. Just check out the label of a standard container of breadcrumbs on the left. Why are there over 25 ingredients in them? It's supposed to be just breadcrumbs. Instead they're filled with all sorts of preservatives, all sorts of heavily processed oils and extra sodium. The best option in a perfect world would be homemade breadcrumbs, but not many people will take the time to make them so at least try the "better" and actually crispier option, panko for oven crispy dishes like this one.
Kid Friendly Tenders
I've found that my kids prefer these in smaller chunks instead of whole tenders, so for the kids I just cut a few tenders into 3 or 4 pieces that are more nugget sized. This way food doesn't get wasted as much and you can just give them a nugget or two at a time. They like them with BBQ sauce (try to find one with less sugar) or a homemade Buttermilk Ranch dip I make.
Crispy Tender Ingredients
Panko Bread Crumbs- I prefer panko bread crumbs to other store bought bread crumbs because of all the crazy unnamable ingredients in standard bread crumbs, even unflavored. Plus Panko gives you a great crispy coating.
Parmesan Cheese- Finely shredded parmesan will also help make these crispy and give you a nice texture and flavor.
Parsley- This is optional since I know some won't care for it, but I like the look and taste of it.
How do you Remove the Tendons from the Tenders?
I've made a quick tip video on what I believe to be the best, most efficient and easy way to remove tendons from chicken tenders! Check out my YouTube video on the "Best Way to Remove Tendons from the Chicken tenders" Here.
Side Recommendations for Tenders:
Give these a try and let me know how they turn out for you!Print
Oven Baked Crispy Chicken Tenders
This comfort food classic gives you crispy yet still juicy tenders.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- 1 lb organic Chicken tenders
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- ½ cup shredded Asagio or Parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp dried parsley (or 1 Tbs fresh finely chopped) *Optional
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp granulated or powdered garlic
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs, whisked
- Olive Oil spray or olive oil on paper towel to
- 1 large baking sheet pan
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- In a small bowl mix: flour, paprika, powdered garlic, salt and pepper
- In another bowl add whisked eggs
- In third bowl mix: bread crumbs, shredded cheese and dried parsley
- Prepare large baking sheet pan by lining bottom with foil or parchment paper.
- On top of lined sheet pan place baking rack(s) that chicken will cook on.
- Spray rack with olive oil or use olive oil soaked paper towel to cover rack with oil to keep chicken from sticking.
- Once ready to cook, dredge chicken in flour mixture, then eggs, and then panko mixture, then place evenly on baking rack.
- Place sheet and rack set up in oven and bake for 10 mins.
- Flip chicken tenders over and bake another 8-10 mins. (Check at 8 mins)
- Check color to make sure not over browning and check temp on plumpest piece to reach 165 degrees.
- Let chicken rest for 5 minutes to keep it from drying out.
- Enjoy with a favorite dipping sauce.
UPDATE: Air Fryer Directions
- Follow directions through step 8 (Minus placing on an oil sprayed baking rack)
- Preheat Air Fryer for 3 mins at 400 degrees.
- Once Pre-heated, Spray both sides of prepared chicken generously with Avocado or Olive oil and place prepared chicken on air fryer racks/wire baskets.
- Cook for 10 mins at 400, flipping chicken halfway through.
- Serving Size: 1
Keywords: Chicken Tenders, baked, air fryer, air fried
[…] is a great raw veggie dip or fabulous with anything else you like to dip or sauce up, from Chicken Tenders to burgers! Try it on just about anything you like a little sweet and spicy kick […]
[…] extremely well with pretty much anything that needs a creamy sauce or dip. Use it as a dip for crispy chicken tenders, an addition to a sandwich, a drizzle on tacos and the list just keeps on […]